Dark Reign Chronicles

This is the forum for the Dark Reign Chronicles LARP. Visit our webpage at http://darkreignchronicles.wikidot.com/

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog inWebsite

Share | 

ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08

Go down 
AuthorMessage
AST Dustin
Assistant Storyteller
Assistant Storyteller

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Actually according to all web pages the following apply to your "Magnesium Rounds".

"A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material often made of phosphorus or magnesium or other bright burning chemicals. In US and NATO standard ammunition this is usually a mixture of strontium salts and a metal fuel such as magnesium. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light using barium salts"

http://www.answers.com/topic/tracer-ammunition

So a Magnesium Round only applies consistently to US or NATO Rounds, but not all or even a majority of tracer rounds are Magnesium based. Stock Piles of illegal and legal stock of available tacer rounds are often times made of Phosphorus a cheaper and more available material. One can use almost any bright burning dense/solid chemical to create a tracer round. The military refers to Tracer Rounds as both Tracer Rounds and Incindiary Ammunition.

If one is to split hairs so finely...

Dragon's Breath Shotgun Ammunition the gout of flaming death, often described as "Phosphorus Rounds" in White Wolf texts are in reality made using a zirconium-based pyrotechnic making it not a phosphorus round at all. I've included a link to a picture of its use to give an idea of the terrible frenzy potential of the weapon.

"A Dragon's Breath usually refers to a zirconium-based pyrotechnic shotgun round. When the round is fired, sparks shoot out for about 20 feet.[1].

While it has few tactical uses, the visual effect it produces is impressive, similar to that of a short-ranged flamethrower. The pyrotechnic shell is expensive compared to other shells, costing at around 6 US dollars per shell.

It cannot be used in a semi-automatic shotgun, because it is a very low-power round: it does not produce enough recoil energy to cycle the next shot, causing the weapon to jam. An additional reason for use only in a manually-operated weapon is the fact that the round shoots flame for 3-5 seconds: this would cause a hazard if a shell still emitting flame were to be ejected from an automatic shotgun."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Breath
Back to top Go down
AST Dustin
Assistant Storyteller
Assistant Storyteller

Number of posts : 475

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:02 am

Thank you for the reply and we appreciate player input as it was player input which resulted in the rule change.

We researched "Tracer Rounds" after it was pointed out by multiple players with a military background, who have used the rounds, that our rules just don't make sense; as a result, we have taken their input and altered the rules.

The biggest change was mostly just the name. The staff agreed that some changes where needed as magnesium burns at such a high temperature, somewhere around 2,500 K (around 4,000 F)

I will go ahead and add "Discuss Dragon Breath Rounds" to the next ST Meeting Agenda and see if we are missing anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 pm

I've fired tracer rounds too, out of an M-1 Carbine. Only Nato and US military forces largely use the magnesium round. Naming it a Magnesium Round specifically still seems an odd descision as a majority of the worlds Tracer Rounds are phosphorus and barium salt based.
Back to top Go down
DocHolliday
Prince

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2007-08-30

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Holy doesn't-matter-in-the-least Batman!

Is this seriously what's occupying ST meetings? Can I kindly suggest that mechanics take a back-burner to... oh, I dunno... STORY? I recall another game I was in in the not too recent past that tried to make everything super life-like and pay attention to ever lil rule ever devised by White-Wolf. Worked swell for them too.

Seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Celestius Jouteur

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:03 pm

Personally, I think the point was just to get a mechanics of the rule so that next time it comes up, there's a preset call for it and no one can (or should at least) complain. Therefore, leading to more story.

Then again, that's just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spider

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 am

DocHolliday wrote:

Is this seriously what's occupying ST meetings? Can I kindly suggest that mechanics take a back-burner to... oh, I dunno... STORY? I recall another game I was in in the not too recent past that tried to make everything super life-like and pay attention to ever lil rule ever devised by White-Wolf. Worked swell for them too.

Seriously.

Greetings,

I believe that the STs listed all of the rules changes that were generated from their meeting. I know that there's plenty of story and plot plans, but they can't very well list those as well.

I agree that when we start getting to encumbrance that it has gone too far, but issues that people are about are being issued, so that makes me happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.simianpublishing.com
Darrin
Head Storyteller
Head Storyteller

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2007-08-31

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:31 pm

I was watching Myth Busters the other day and they were shooting a tank of flamable gas with tracer rounds (phosferous coted bullets) and were surprised to note that as the bullet passed threw the container there was no explosion or even faint trace of cumbustion. The tracer wasnt even hot enough to ignite a flamable gas on fire.

They then took another container to a secret range were they used magnesium filled rounds shot from a machine gun. The gas container went up liek a fire ball.

Caleb

Number of posts : 197

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:14 pm

So here is the problem...

The intent of the IC actions were to achieve these "agg dealing" rounds. Through IC actions, the bullet with the desired affect was achieved.

Now through naming symantics OOC the effect of these items are being changed, for whatever reason to be not what the desired effect IC was.

If you feel they need to be changed out of IC play for game balance reasons then a story should and can be created. If you would like some suggestions I'd be happy to give them...but I should not put them here as it may give away IC information that people do not want to know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McBastard

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-21

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:50 pm

DocHolliday wrote:

Seriously.

I'm going toi have to agree here. I my oppinion as a concerned player, St's and staff should should be focusing on is player retention and and recruitment, followed by story, then minutae like agg damage at range.

But that's just me.

~Sean
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08   

Back to top Go down

ST Meeting Minutes 01/04/08
Page 1 of 1